IMPORTANT RULES FOR FEEDING GOATS:A breeder should concern himself about the bodily condition of every goat in the herd so that no goat becomes too thin nor too fat. Both of which, are not desirable.
1. Goat feed must always be stored in a safe place. Make sure that stored feed is protected from vermin, damp and any contamination. Use the FIFO (first-in, first-out) system when taking feed out of storage to feed the goats.
2. Provided food must be hygienic and it should be presented in a hygienic way so that every goat can share it. There should be adequate space for all the goats to eat at the same time, ensure your troughs are enough for this and also that the troughs are clean.
3. The most important part of diet is good hay / roughage. Its all about balance!
4. Make sure that a good percentage of the diet is coming from good quality forage.
5. Adequate green feed, vitamins, concentrates, minerals and fresh water are key to a balanced diet which in turn is key to the success of goat breeding.
6. Any change of feed habit must be occurred gradually. Do not be stingy on quality feed as ‘good nutrition is half your breeding’
7. Make sure kids consume colostrum without delay after being born. Feed you kids a good quality creep feed from early on to aid their development.
8. Availability of pure clean drinking water is a must for goats always!
9. To ensure feed for all goats, instill a routine (with farm workers) so that no goat abstains from taking feed, or gets fed inconsistently. Be time conscious!
10. A farmer must keep contaminated or soiled feed & water away from goats and ensure it is disposed off properly.
08023982600 07046822449 Or WhatsApp For Your Quality Kalahari Reds & Boe